Self-Care on a Bad Day
10 Steps to Self Care
Choose healthy options most of the time
- It’s not about perfection.
- Follow the 80/20 rule: Choose the healthy option (food, exercise) 80% of the time.
Recognise and honour your own needs
- Self-care is not selfish.
- Be honest: Do you need an evening alone to recharge? Or tech-free time? Do what is best for you.
Set boundaries and learn to say no
- Saying no can be done with warmth and compassion.
- Create the space: Saying no to something stressful or unauthentic enables you to say yes to something you want to do.
Let go of what no longer serves you
- Scale back on what isn’t important and create time for what you value.
- Listen for “should” — anything being done because it “should” be is something you are doing out of guilt or obligation, not self-care.
We are human beings, not human doings
- Living with purpose and authenticity is a wonderful act of self-care.
- Simply be. Alongside your goals, include time to rest and relax.
Make joy a non-negotiable
- Make feeling good a priority.
- Enjoy life. This leads to productivity at work and at home.
- Cultivate supportive relationships
- Connection is the cornerstone of good mental health. Go where you are celebrated.
- Listen to and trust yourself
- Honour your emotions and truly feel them. Ask yourself questions, like:
- What activities do I enjoy? What else would I like to try?
- Who provides me with a sense of connection and strength? How can I make more time for them?
- What makes me feel a sense of purpose?
- How can I do more of that?
- Journaling and meditation are great tools for this practice.
9. Practice self-compassion Learn to love ALL of you! You are you and that is your superpower. Practice accepting and liking yourself, no matter what you do, say or think.
10. Accept support
- Self-care involves letting other people care for you, too.
- You are not alone. When you are emotionally struggling, reach out to those you love and trust for support, or seek the help of a trained professional.
Self Care Ideas for a Bad Day
- Drink herbal tea
- Practice positive affirmations
- Write down 10 things that you are grateful for, no matter how small they may seem
- Breathe slowly and watch your breath
- Watch a ted talk on a subject you enjoy
- Make a vision board
- Walk in nature
- Connect to a loved one
- Go for a long walk
- Light candles
- Take a digital detox. Unplug.
- Try yoga
- Cook something nutritional and delicious
We hope that you enjoyed your daily Wellness Fix.
With love, Beautifully Nourished x
Editor and Founder: Katherine Elyse Blake, BSC Nutrition, ANutr