Skin Optimising Silk: 5 Best Silk Pillowcases, According to Beautifully Nourished
We love teaching others how to optimise and compliment their self-loving, skincare regime. Today we explore how the traditional fabric, silk can have profound effects on our hair and skin health.
Widely used for producing high-end clothing and home furnishings, silk has a history of thousands of years. Elegance, glamour and sophistication, nothing compares to silk – but many other properties extend far beyond just its looks.
Silk is one of the most potent natural fibres, containing natural protein and 18 essential amino acids. It also contains natural cellular albumen, which boosts the metabolism of skin cells. Many dermatologists, facialists and trichologists admire the benefits of silk for skin and scalp as a saviour. The benefits of silk can be obtained by switching to silk bed sheets or pillowcases. But exactly which benefits?
Silk Pillowcases: Skin Benefits
- It keeps skin cooler: While synthetic fibres trap heat, silk is considered more breathable. Silk is helpful for the body in retaining heat in cold weather while excess heat is expelled in warm weather, helping the body maintain a natural temperature.
- It reduces skin creasing: Silk has exceptionally smooth fibres, which does not create friction or impress its texture onto the skin. It is a gentler fabric which makes it perfect for the fragile skin on the face.
- It's hypoallergenic: if you have acne-prone or sensitive skin, you know the struggle that comes with sleeping on your face. Silk is antibacterial and hypoallergenic, so there's less of a chance that the pillowcase will harbour harmful germs. Believe it; silk is hypoallergenic. The sericin residue in silk is a natural repellent that keeps away dust mites, fungi, bacteria and many other allergens.
- It helps to keep your skin moisturised: Silk bedding can help to keep skin hydrated. It is made with tightly woven, smooth fibres, which allow it to retain moisture close to the skin and pertaining that well-needed hydration.
- It slows down the ageing process. There has been promising research into the cosmetic applications of silk to reversing the signs of ageing – happy, hydrated and plumper skin means fewer wrinkles! The natural cellular albumen found in silk helps boost the metabolism of skin cells, ensuring that they're turning over and replenishing at a faster rate, leading to healthier, plumper skin.
Silk Pillowcases: Hair Benefits
- It retains moisture: "Silk pillowcases have your hair moisture while you sleep, due to its low absorbency rate. According to the Hellenic Silk Company, silk absorbs 11% of the water from skin and hair, while other synthetic fabrics usually have an absorption rate of 30%.
- It reduces the reduction: Silk is less rough on the hair than regular pillowcases because of its anti-static material. As a result, hair follicles aren't as roughed up during sleep movements.
- It reduces breakage and thinning: the hair, skin and the body are constantly moving and being aggravated during sleep which causes the hair to break, create thinner hair, frizz, bed head and split ends. But the natural, smooth texture of silk prevents friction between the hair and the pillowcase during sleep.
Conclusively, there has been a wealth of research into this tremendous natural fibre. Studies show that silk proteins can have incomparable benefits to the human body and are also widely used for medicinal and cosmetic purposes.
THE AMAZING BENEFITS OF A SILK PILLOWCASE
Silk pillowcases are growing greatly in popularity thanks to their amazing skin, hair, and sleep benefits. The smooth fabric reduces the amount of friction between you and the pillow whilst you get your beauty sleep, which helps to keep frizzy hair at bay and keeps it less prone to breakage.
Silk is also a hypoallergenic material that repels oils and dirt to help keep skin balanced and acne-free.
At Beautifully Nourished, some of our favourite silk beauty accessory brands include:
😴 @silkbeautycollection - this brand expertly crafts silk pillowcases and gorgeous hair accessories from pure mulberry silk. They are designed to protect your skin and hair from any unwanted damage whilst sleeping.
😴 @unculondon - UNCU London creates affordable Mulberry silk accessories so that everyone can afford to have a little bit of luxury in their lives
😴 @nicecreamlondon - this brand has beautiful yet functional pieces that can be used every day. Their products include silk scrunchies, sleep masks, and pillowcases to ensure that you receive all the beauty benefits to offer.
😴 @facesilk - Face Silk produces luxury face masks that are handmade in Britain from pure Italian Silk that is sustainably sourced. They provide superior comfort throughout the day and ensure your skin is looked after and your health protected.
😴 @sleepsmug - SMUG. Have created a range of products to help improve your sleep, beauty, and wellbeing. Their range includes beautiful silk pillowcases, face masks, scrunchies, and sleep masks