Supporting Menopausal Skin Care Changes, Specialist Skin Recommendations by Beautifully Nourished
Each and every women responds to the menopause in slightly different ways. It is a beautiful transition as a woman passes through the gateway and into her next life stage. Today we explore natural, nourishing and supportive care to the menopausal woman.
NUTRITION FOR MENOPAUSAL SKIN CARE TIPS
In terms of skincare, many women will experience a loss of elasticity within their skin, which can result in a change in skin appearance such as thinner skin, dry skin, fine lines and sometimes a change in skin day by day.
Oestrogen effects not only our body's menstrual cycles, but stimulate the production of substances like oil and collagen. This is why we can notice a change in our skin during menopause.
As we get older, our skin naturally looses collagen; this happens to each of us and begins in around 18 / early 20's. Menopause can prompt an increased rate of reduction for some years. This will level out, but we want to support the body in collagen formation during this period. This can be done via the diet and supported by the topical skincare chosen.
Hydration is important in optimising skin plumpness. Skin Serums and Moisturisers with Hyaluronic acid are a good skincare choice.
Beautifully Nourished is designed for skin sensitivity and pre-menopausal and menopausal skin should respond very well to the gentle formulas.
When looking at other brands, look for products that contain, amino acids, vitamins C, E and A, and peptides.
When looking for a cleanser, you don't want to use products too astringent that strip the skin of their natural oils.
Many women experience heat spreading across their face and neck. If you experience this, you want to avoid overly "heavy formulas". The texture of Beautifully Nourished's vitamin ACE Moisturiser suits this symptom well.
SKIN SENSITIVITY IN MENOPAUSE
An increase in skin sensitivity is common. This may cause red bumps and, or hives and the skin may become irritated by products and substances that would not have typically irritated it. Choose products that are designed for sensitive skin! Beautifully Nourished has you covered here.
Some women quickly adapt to lower levels of oestrogen in their body and notice very few side effects, so it really all depends on the individual.
NATURAL, NUTRITIONAL MENOPAUSE SUPPORT
- Keep hydrated. This is non negotiable.
- Eat a diet low in salt and saturated fat
- Exercise regularly - the cool breeze of fresh air and the outdoors can do self care wonders
- Practice regular, daily self care
- Oestrogen like plant hormones can be found in many plants and can support the body during menopause.The action of these substances is weaker than human oestrogen, but they can heavily support. Integrate some of the following into your diet:
- Consume isoflavones and phytoestrogens (these can be found in foods such as soy, flaxseeds, lentils and oats)
- Beans: Chickpeas, lentils, mung and, or soy beans
- Veggies: Dark green leafy veg and cruciferous veg.
- Consume nuts such as almonds, cashew, nut oils & seeds such as flaxseed, pumpkin and sprouted seeds
- Opt for Wholegrain. Ditch the sugar and opt for wholegrain carbohydrates such as buckwheat, millet and rye
- Fresh fruit: Include apples, avocados, mangoes
- Dried fruit: Dates
- SPF - always
SUPPLEMENTS FOR MENOPAUSE
- If any mood changes have been experienced – consider a natural, 5HTP supplement
- Oestrogen also plays its part in brain health, omega supplements can be effective in protecting the brain
- Calcium and vitamin D3 for bone health support
- Supplements that support/ encourage collagen production - Beautifully Nourished's Hair, Nail and Skin Complex
- Black cohosh is commonly used for menopausal symptoms
Following a few of these tips consistently and in conjunction with advice from your general practitioner can help to support your body through it’s natural changes and help your skin to remain healthy and plump.