Energy | Lifestyle Tips to Boost Mood and Feel Instantly Uplifted
"Tension is who you think you should be.
Relaxation is who you are."
With so much going on these past months, it is more than natural to have some days where we feel a little grey. What is important is that we allow these grey moments to wash on through us and to pass.
Below are our top recommendations for creating an energy shift within the body, helping you to feel a little lighter and preventing those grey moments from getting stuck and developing into something bigger.
#1 Give Yourself a Break
Snuggle up! Get into your onsie, pjs or a dressing gown. Pour your self a cup of tea. Put your phone DOWN! Stop being so hard on yourself. This year is new and you are doing great! Give yourself permission to take the down time that you need-however that looks for you. Maybe a book, maybe a bath, maybe TV or maybe nothing at all.
Sometimes we need to just relax and that can be the most energising thing of them all. It is the relaxation and recovery period where the body repairs itself and becomes stronger. We have to give ourselves and our bodies the time and the permission to do that. As important as it is to Athletes to take rest days, it is to us.
When we relax, the flow of blood increases around our bodies giving us more energy. It helps us to have a calmer and clearer mind which aids positive thinking, concentration, memory and decision making. Relaxation slows our heart rate, reduces our blood pressure and relieves tension.
Emotions are all part of the human experience. There are no good or bad emotion, so give yourself a break. Feeling angry? Fine. Feeling Happy? Fine. Feeling Sad? Also fine. What is important however is 1. not to react to every emotion that passes through and 2. Don't become the emotion. We are not our emotions, we feel them.
The us that feels them is capable to feel them, acknowledge them, watch them and notice the effects they have on the body. Watch without judgement and allow them to pass through.
Removing Negative and Grey Energy
So that energy doesn't end up getting stuck and those grey moments don't grow into something much bigger, we recommend a selection of the following to add into your day, to keep your energy fresh and new energy coming in.
1. Get outside! Everyday. Even just afew minutes out in the fresh air can do wonders. It is our natural habitat and has some wonderful healing properties
2. Wood, Forest or Park Walks
3. Stretch. Tai Chi can be fantastic
4. Tea! Lots of tea! Green tea!
5. Breathe. Take afew minutes, or even seconds to simply watch and listen to your breathe. Do this each day.
6. Practice the following: Go one full day without without complaining. No matter how "bad" things are or feel. If you see a difference at the end of that day, repeat.
7. Say, out loud something that you enjoyed today. That can be as simple as "I had a great cup of tea". Give your thanks for that.
Move it Out
4. Move your body. Regular exercise is a wonderful way to let the grey energy pass through healthily and release endorphins that can create an immediate energy shift. As importantly, when we exercise consistently, the energy shift can create permanent, positive changes in our baseline energy. We can begin to feel happier emotions more consistently.
Water Staying hydrated is essential to maintaining energy.
Maca, Great in home made smoothies, stirred into oats and sprinkled in a natural yoghurt bowl. Most readily found in powder form, maca is a shining star when it comes to increasing energy levels.
Apples with peanut butter
Cacao We love our Cocao!! The perfect natural energiser. Great sprinkled over a morning cappuccino. It is loaded with fantastic nutrients, featuring theobromine, a mild stimulant with similar effects to caffeine and anandamide, the “bliss” molecule.
Opt for raw cacoa
Hard boiled egg and a green juice smoothie
Aside from being a great food source of Vitamin D, they are also deeply energising.
Hummus and vegetables
We love fresh mint tea here and try to include a cup every morning before we get to work!
Matcha tea, green tea and tea in general are great energisers.
Green tea is naturally high in caffeine, which increases focus
Nuts and seeds
Our tiny blue-green algae go to is 60-70% complete protein and is thought to help to improve muscle endurance and fight fatigue. Available in tablet form and as a powder for those that like the earthly flavours.
During high-quality sleep, our bodies restore many functions it calls on during the day, such as temperature regulation, a strong immune system, steady hormone levels, and good appetite. All of these factors play a role in how much energy we have. So get your head town, tuck in and have a great night sleep.